[SunHELP] What does a 'staff group' allow a user to do.

Matthew Weigel unique at idempot.net
Wed May 4 14:44:59 CDT 2005

Grindell, Joan M. said:
> Everyone,
>
> 	I know the staff account should generally only be given to system
> administrators.

Are you sure?  I was under the impression that it was intended as a normal
user group... although that's not how I use it.

>  Could anyone help me with refining exactly what you would
> be giving a user if you put him in the staff group?

'find -group staff -print' did not list any files, so unless there are
tools that check group membership of which I'm not aware it does nothing.

That said, I give the staff group full sudo rights (not the default at
all), and stick users in the 'other' group - but a quick check suggests
that that was probably not the best idea).  By default, sudo does not work
and is not configured (if it did work) to grant any rights to any group.

--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker
 unique at idempot.net