[SunHELP] Solaris web/mail server

Matthew Weigel unique at idempot.net
Sat Mar 5 11:00:15 CST 2005

On 5 Mar, 2005, at 10:00 AM, Eric Webb wrote:

> Are there any particular gotchas or recommendations that I should be
> aware of
> during the conversion?

1- Port scan your system before taking it to the colo.
2- Account for security patches on every piece of software with a port.
3- Know how to configure every piece of software with a port, including
every PHP application you're running.
4- Use IPF liberally, just in case.

>   My solaris experience isn't too great... should I use
> something other than stock named or sendmail?

I would recommend BIND 9 over Solaris's BIND 8.  BIND 8 is best
forgotten
along with 4.9.

I would recommend that you chroot named (-t) and make it drop root
privilege
(-u), which requires a bit of preparation on your part to set up the
chroot
environment with everything named needs.

How well do you know Sendmail?  If you don't know it well, you might
want to
go with something else like Postfix.
--
  Matthew Weigel