[SunHELP] remote console

Paul Walsh Paul.Walsh at uce.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 11:21:38 CST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: sunhelp-bounces at sunhelp.org [mailto:sunhelp-bounces at sunhelp.org]
On Behalf Of Grindell, Joan M.
Sent: 03 March 2005 14:59
To: 'The SunHELP List'; 'Solaris-Users mailinglist'
Subject: [SunHELP] remote console

Good morning.

I have a question I hope someone may be able to answer.

We are looking for something that will give us the ability to log into
the ok prompt of a remote server.  We will be moving some of our servers
twenty miles a way and are looking to a method to log into the ok prompt
after a boot (crash or intentional) and restart the computer without
having to drive to the site.  It would also be helpful if the method was
secure as well.

Thanks
Joan

Sounds like you need a KVM switch with IP access.  We use a Cyclades ACS
for just such a thing - you connect the serial console port to the ACS
and are able to access it over the network (access to port can be
restricted to individual ids). An alternative (if PS/2 type
keyboard/mouse connections and VGA video are used) is their KVM/Net
switch.  See www.cyclades.com for info.  I have no connection with them
other than as a satisfied customer.

Regards,

Paul Walsh

Systems Manager (UNIX), IT Services,
University of Central England, BIRMINGHAM B42 2SU, UK
Tel: +44 (0)121 331 5708  Mobile: +44 (0)7974 150396
Fax: +44 (0)121 356 2875