[SunHELP] writing home

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Jun 21 15:03:55 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 15:53 -0400, Grindell, Joan M. wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I have a peculiar problem.  I just installed Solaris 2.9 and applied
> patches.  I then tried to add a user directory to /home as root and am
> denied.
>
> The permissions on the file are dr-xr-xr-x.  How do I get around this.  I
> always thought root had access to everything.

Normally, yes.  Is your machine connected to the Internet?  Was it
available to script kiddies for any length of time before you patched
it?

You can run (as root):

chmod 755 /home

or

chmod 775 /home

to get your permissions back.  You will want to check the perms on the
users directories under /home as well.

Thomas