[SunHELP] anyone gotten a 73gig drive to work with am ultra?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 14:28:16 CDT 2005

On 7/1/05, Arthur Wouk <awouk at nilenet.com> wrote:
> i tried one final test. i used a 50 to 80 adapter, and attached the drive
> a sparcstation. i was now in the 50 pin world and properly terminated.
> same result. the thing won't respond to sensing. spins up. something in
> the firmware, i guess. i don't know how to modify the firmware.
>
> this sort of ended all questions except for the one about being defective,
> i think. also, sca drives are supposed to self-terminate.

You might try changing the jumper for delay start, as a final test.
I know when I put some newer SCSI (well, circa 1998 drives) in
older Macs (IIci), I had trouble where the disks didn't spin up
soon enough so that the OS would recognize them.  I would
expect the Sun to be better about that though.

I wonder if maybe the PSU is not outputting enough voltage for
the disk?

Just tossing out ideas as I've never heard of this kind of problem
before.

=Nadine=