[SunHELP] Solaris Questions

Colin Anderson irixdude at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 03:59:09 CST 2005

I have a few questions about the Solaris side of my new SunRay setup.

When I first configured Solaris 9.0 and SRSS 3.0 I found a very large
number of open TCP and UDP ports. I have since disabled many unneeded
daemons but I still have a few more ports that I wish I could close.
Ideally I would only like to have SSH port 22 and the SRSS 3.0 ports
open.

1) What ports does SRSS 3.0 need open to communicate with the SunRay
terminals? Ports 7007 through 7012 are open. Are all of these needed
for SRSS 3.0? If not, how can I close some of them?

2) How can I close ports 6002 - 6005? I do not need remote access into
X11 / XDMCP.

3) I thought I disabled all of NFS, yet port 4045 still appears to be open.

4) I thought I disabled all of RPC, yet port 32779 still appears to be open.

5) And finally, what software would you recommend that I install on
the Solaris system as a sort of server-side firewall where I could
disable / block certain ports to certain IP ranges without having to
disable deamons. I would like to modify a simple configuration file to
block ranges of IP addresses and/or ports.

Thank You.