[SunHELP] Adding network card to Sun E250

James Marcinek jmarc1 at jemconsult.biz
Wed Aug 10 19:15:37 CDT 2005

Hello Everyone,

I will be installing a second nic into a Sun e250 server and this will be my
first so I'm hoping it won't be too difficult.

My main concern is figuring out the network card type, which I don't know how
it's usually done (eg eri, hme, etc)? Is there an easy way to do this? I know
the prtdiag -v will display everything but I would like to know if there's other
ways.

I would also like to know if I'm missing any other steps or getting this wrong

* Once I know what type it is I could plumb the device:
 eg - ifconfig hme1 plumb

* The assign the ip address and bring it up
  eg ifconfig hme1 192.168.0.25 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Do I also need to create the hostname.hme1 file or is this done by the plumb?

Thanks,

James