[SunHELP] Problem Installing XML::Parser

Barry Skidmore skidmore at sparc20.homeunix.net
Tue Sep 28 21:25:48 CDT 2004

Note: this message was submitted to 'cpan-discuss at perl.org' but I have
received no replies.
--
Solaris 9 - SPARCstation 20
perl, v5.6.1 built for sun4-solaris-64int

I am unable to install XML::Parser.  The build fails after not being
able to locate xpat.  This does exist, and I have followed the
instructions on setting EXPATLIBPATH, EXPATINCPATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Below is a transcript of what I have done, but there is obviously
something else necessary.

Thanks,
Barry

-----

cpan> install XML::Parser
.
.
Running install for module XML::Parser
Running make for M/MS/MSERGEANT/XML-Parser-2.34.tar.gz

Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lexpat

Expat must be installed prior to building XML::Parser and I can't find
it in the standard library directories. You can download expat from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/expat/

If expat is installed, but in a non-standard directory, then use the
following options to Makefile.PL:

    EXPATLIBPATH=...  To set the directory in which to find libexpat

    EXPATINCPATH=...  To set the directory in which to find expat.h

For example:

    perl Makefile.PL EXPATLIBPATH=/home/me/lib EXPATINCPATH=/home/me/include

Note that if you build against a shareable library in a non-standard location
you may (on some platforms) also have to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variable at run time for perl to find the library.

Running make test
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
Running make install
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

cpan> exit
No history written (no histfile specified).
Lockfile removed.

# locate expat
/usr/local/include/expat.h
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.a
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.la
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0.4.0

# cd /home/skidmore/.cpan/build/XML-Parser-2.34
# perl Makefile.PL EXPATLIBPATH=/usr/local/lib EXPATINCPATH=/usr/local/include
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for XML::Parser::Expat
Writing Makefile for XML::Parser
# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/sfw:/usr/local/lib
# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib:/usr/sfw:/usr/local/lib
# perl -MCPAN -e 'shell'

cpan> install XML::Parser

Running install for module XML::Parser
Running make for M/MS/MSERGEANT/XML-Parser-2.34.tar.gz

  CPAN.pm: Going to build M/MS/MSERGEANT/XML-Parser-2.34.tar.gz

----- End forwarded message -----