[SunHELP] [Fwd: Drive-Card Compatibility]

David Strom dstrom at ciesin.columbia.edu
Fri Sep 24 08:56:18 CDT 2004

I didn't see a response to this (I subscribe to the digest), so I'll
chime in:

Yes, an Ultra-SCSI (or Ultra2/160/320 LVD) device will work (or at
least, it is supposed to, YMMV) on a Fast(-Wide) SCSI adapter, but at
the slower Fast-SCSI speed (10MBps Narrow/20MBps Wide).  IIRC, LVD specs
  are to be backward-compatible with Fast/Ultra, and Ultra is similar to
Fast, just higher speed.   Hope no one minds this simplification.  I've
connected these types of Sun external Ultra-SCSI disks to Fast-Wide
adapters (like the Sbus swift cards) without any problem.
--
David Strom