[SunHELP] "checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"

chandant chandant at indiatimes.com
Mon Sep 6 08:54:57 CDT 2004

Hi,

1.. Yes as shown in output below my gcc --version also fails.

2.  Infact I am trying to install libiconv only, I am facing this problem during libiconv installation only.

3.  I have installed gcc through the sunpackage from sunfreeware so I can't manually specify any options.

Thanks Again.

Would Await reply.

Chandan

"Chris Pinnock" wrote:

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 07:11:42PM +0530, chandant wrote:
> Hi ALL,
>
> I am getting the following error when trying to configure a software(libiconv)
>
> "checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"
>
> 1. which gcc
> /usr/local/bin/gcc (3.4.0)
>
> 2. config.log Lists the Error:
>
> configure:2227: checking for C compiler version
> configure:2230: gcc --version &5
> ld.so.1: gcc: fatal: libiconv.so.2: open failed: No such file or directory
> ./configure: line 1: 6713 Killed $CC --version

I suspect if you try to run "gcc --version" it will fail as well.

Have you install the libiconv package as well? If not, do so.

If so you need to change your library path (as if you have libiconv, it
would appear that gcc has not been compiled with -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib so
that it finds the library at runtime).

Try:

crle -u -l /usr/local/lib

or similar.
Indiatimes Email now powered by APIC Advantage. Help!
HelpClick on the image to chat with me