[SunHELP] OT: Any way to obtain WAN IP address from a DSL/CABLE modem/router

Andre Blanchard andre at synchronicity.com
Thu Sep 2 10:23:07 CDT 2004

Hello:

JIC: When you connect your provider assigns an dynamically allocated IP
address for your internet connection.  This address is displayed in one
of the browser screens via the firmware of your cable/router.  I wish
to have that address available through non browser means in order to
inform others who require access to this host.  I would like to perform
this check during the boot process.

I was thinking of obtuse ways, like obtaining the URL stream of data
from my browser (i.e. invoke netscape with http://192.168.1.1 and
capture the output), but I was hoping there is a executable like
ifconfig that can sniff out this value.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Andre'