[SunHELP] Monitor cables

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Oct 28 19:30:45 CDT 2004

 Hubler, Daniel writes ...

> We have to replace the cables that run from our E6500 to its
> keyboard and monitor.
> This is part of another effort to cleanup a wiring mess.
>
> Is it possible to perform this operation without shutting down?

The monitor cable, sure.

The keyboard cable, maybe.

Some Suns will drop to the PROM monitor if you just yank the keyboard cable.
I don't know if the E6500 does that, but I'd check with someone who knows
for sure.  http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-9-72313-1
indicates that it would, though.

There is (or was) a command that can change this behavior, but I don't know
if it's avail in all versions of Solaris, or works on all hardware.  man
kbd, I think, and check the "-a" option.

See http://www.unixguide.net/sun/manager/15.2.shtml (halfway down the page)
or
http://sunportal.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/summaries/2004-September/005743.h
tml for other methods.