[SunHELP] home directories

Edward Chase echase at studentweb.providence.edu
Tue Nov 30 13:17:38 CST 2004

Hi there,

I'm currently working on setting up a Solaris 9 box.  As I try to useradd
it's complaining to me that it cannot create the user's home directory.

If I do a useradd -D to see the default it's showing the home directory base
as being /home

However /home looks like

dr-xr-xr-x   1 root     root           1 Nov 30 09:45 home

In the past, I've seen home directories at /export/home

What is the "proper" way to proceed here?  Change the perms on /home so that
root can create directores or change the default home directory base to
/export/home?  In the linux world it's /home/user.  I'm not really sure
where this /export/home/user thing comes from.

Thanks.

--
Edward Chase
Providence College