[SunHELP] Sendmail or squirrelmail on solaris install advice...

Tige D. Chastain tdchastain at insightbb.com
Mon Nov 22 21:07:29 CST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 20:01, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 06:17:56PM -0500, Marvin Cummings wrote:
> > Yes I'm inexperienced with sendmail and the others mentioned and while
> > I appreciate you clearing up the differences between the two I don't
> > see a reason to deviate from it this because of that. That's why I
> > mentioned that it will relay to an exchange 2003 server on an internal
> > network. With that said, I'm only interested in seeing if anyone has
> > documented this type of setup and now that I have a basic
> > understanding of the differences I can continue on in my searching
> > before initiating and documenting my own steps.
> > What I've found in my travels in the this IT world is that nothing is
> > impossible to learn provided you posses the desire to learn it. The
> > hard part is the advice or level of assistance you get along the way.
>

> In that case, more power to you, and please allow me to recommend the
> O'Reilly Associates Sendmail book to you.  It's the best reference that
> I know of.

Although the "Sendmail" book of O'Reilly is considered the "bible" of
Sendmail, all it does it go through the different parts of the
sendmail.cf file (at least the 2nd ed does).  I find the following books
MUCH easier on the newbie that has been cursed to admin/learn sendmail:

"Sendmail Cookbook" (O'Reilly ISBN 059600471-0
"Linux Sendmail Administration" (Sybex ISBN 0782127371)

When you get to trying to make sendmail perform, then go for "sendmail
Performance Tuning" (Addison-Wesley ISBN 0321115708).

Good luck in your efforts.

Cheers.

Tige