[SunHELP] for loop changes nohup?

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR sebastien.daubigne at atosorigin.com
Mon Nov 22 13:36:49 CST 2004

Well, it seems that KSH (at least Solaris KSH) disable job control when
interpreting loops : If you truss the ksh process, you will see no trace of
setpgrp() unlike without the for loop.

I don't know if it's a bug or a feature, or if it's POSIX compliant. For
instance, BASH, which is POSIX compliant, doesn't disable job control inside
the loops : it creates a separate process group in all cases, so you can
play with ^Z/bg/fg.

Of course, ignoring SIGTSTP/SIGTTOU/SIGTTIN is a consequence of the job
control facility disabling.

Now for you java process killing, could you post the whole psig trace,
including the SIGHUP mask (maybe the sighup mask is reset to default by the
java interpreter, which causes the "for loop" java process to be killed when
the controlling terminal hangs up and send SIGHUP to the foreground process
group, to which it belongs, unlike the "direct" one ?).

--
Sebastien DAUBIGNE
Sebastien.daubigne at atosorigin.com <mailto:Sebastien.daubigne at atosorigin.com>