[SunHELP] for loop changes nohup?

Richard Russell richard.russell at db.com
Mon Nov 22 04:33:14 CST 2004

Thanks -- my immediate thought on this is that it could explain the
opposite behaviour more likely than what I actually see...

ie you're suggesting this:

./start: ...
ksh --> sh --> nohup --> ksh --> nohup & --> java

for i in one; do ./start; done ...
ksh ( --> ksh subshell ) --> sh --> nohup --> ksh --> nohup & --> java

Why would exiting the ksh from the for loop example be more likely to
cause the java process to exit than it would in the first example?
Certainly, I would have expected that the nohup would catch the signals
anyway, so a change at this point shouldn't affect the java process, but
why would adding a subshell affect it?

Then again, I've never really understood how signals propagate...

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Richard Russell
Deutsche Bank AG London
Global Markets Customer Solutions