[SunHELP] help: unix and comcast broadband

George Munk MUNKG at iomega.com
Mon Jun 28 12:42:00 CDT 2004

I use comcast and did the "self install" for what was at the time AT&T
cable. The installation requirements may have changed since that time.

I had to install some software on a PC that was directly attached to the
external cable modem. The software was used to do the initial activation
of the connection. I think there was also a Mac version of the software.
I have kept the PC around in case I ever have to re-activate the
connection or have connection problems that are easier for comcast to
troubleshoot with a direct attached PC. I haven't needed it yet.

Since the cable Internet was installed, I have been running various
hardware platforms and operating systems behind a router (commonly
referred to as a "DSL and cable router" at consumer electronics stores)
doing address translation to the public IP address which is dynamically
assigned using DHCP. Works great. So the setup looks like:

coax cable -- external cable modem  -- ethernet cable -- NAT'ing router
-- home network

George