[SunHELP] can't login to solaris (fatal)

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 28 06:39:50 CDT 2004

From: "Lara Adianto" <m1r4cle_26 at yahoo.com>

> I changed /etc/pam.conf to make login authenticate to
> ldap, and I commented out the other auth modules (such
> pas pam_unix)...and as a result, I can't login at all.
> When the machine is rebooted, it doesn't prompt for
> login and straight away say login failed. I've tried
> to telnet and ftp without success. I managed to get
> into the box in single user mode, but I can't change
> the pam.conf, it's a read only file. chmod doesn't
> work either.
>
> what should i do ?

Boot into single user mode from cdrom. Mount your root filesystem and then
edit /etc/pam.conf or replace it with the unmolested backup copy you
invariably made before the edits. :)

Something like, from the OBP...

ok> boot cdrom -s

Machine boots from the Solaris CD.

# (Assuming no metadevices or anything are involved)
mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /tmp/a
cd /mnt/a/etc
cp pam.conf pam.conf.broken
cp pam.conf.orig pam.conf

You exact detail may vary but that's the rough idea.

Will.