[SunHELP] dirname command pipe failure

Jopson, Andy Andrew.Jopson at Rolls-Royce.com
Thu Jun 24 03:46:04 CDT 2004

Aaah, ok thanks. This assumes that there are no .'s in the filename though,
but I can put the transformations in the pipe. I never thought of using
nawk, thanks for taking me in a new direction!

Andrew Jopson C.Eng MSc
Thermotek Ltd
Thermal Analyst
Rolls-Royce Thermofluids
Sinfin, Derby (PCF-2)

Tel: +44 (0) (1332 2) 43487
Fax: +44 (0) (1332 2) 61319
Mobi: +44 (0) 7887 948971
Email: Andrew.Jopson at Rolls-Royce.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Predrag Zecevic - Solaris System Administrator
[mailto:predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com]
Sent: 24 June 2004 09:34
To: The SunHELP List
Subject: Re: [SunHELP] dirname command pipe failure

Hi,

you can do this with
    echo `basename $1` | nawk -F"." '{print $1}'
;-)

Jopson, Andy wrote:

>Does anybody know why I can't write the following code as a pipe?
>
>	temp=`echo $1 | tr '.' '/'`
>	temp=`dirname $temp`
>	echo $temp | tr '/' '.'
>
>Like this:  echo $1 | tr '.' '/'` | dirname | tr '/' '.'
>
>It just returns a . rather than the body of a filename (I wrote the code to
>get whatever comes before the final dot in a filename i.e. it separates the
>filename from it's extension). It appears that dirname (or basename for
that
>matter) doesn't function in a pipe command.
>
>Thanks,
>Andrew Jopson C.Eng MSc
>Thermotek Ltd
>Thermal Analyst
>Rolls-Royce Thermofluids
>Sinfin, Derby (PCF-2)
>
>Tel: +44 (0) (1332 2) 43487
>Fax: +44 (0) (1332 2) 61319
>Mobi: +44 (0) 7887 948971
>Email: Andrew.Jopson at Rolls-Royce.com
>

>The data contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain
confidential
>information. If you have received it in error you should notify the sender
>immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and
contact
>+44(0)1332 242424 (the Rolls-Royce IT Security Director) if you need
>assistance. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents
>to any other person.
>
>An e-mail response to this address may be subject to interception or
>monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.
>
>(c) 2004 Rolls-Royce Group plc
>
>Registered office: 65 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6AT
>Company number: 1003142. Registered in England.

| Predrag Zecevic | e-Mail: Predrag.Zecevic at 2e-Systems.COM |
| 2e Systems GmbH |              Tel: (+49)[0]6107 989 415 |
|Im Taubengrund 12|              Fax: (+49)[0]6107 989 494 |
|65451 Kelsterbach|                                        |
|     Germany     |         Cellular: (+49)[0]174 3109 288 |
The Arkansas legislature passed a law that states that the Arkansas River
can rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock.