[SunHELP] partitioning in sun

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Fri Jul 30 10:14:25 CDT 2004

Vipul Bhadra wrote:

>Hi Guys ,
>
>Was just curious as to which SUN servers support hardware based partition
>(Domains i guess)
>IBM supports virtual (firmware based ) partition , HP supports h/w and
>logical partition.
>
>Whuch is the entry level server which supports partitions.

The type of partitioning you choose really depends on what is the
intended purpose. If it is for maximum uptime, the only hot swap domains
if an unexpected  failure happens is on the Sun 4800 and above. HP
rp7410 will not do it, only I/O cards can be de-allocated and
hot-swapped. HP rp5470 only supports virtual partitioning. On LPAR
systems like the IBM P650 or P670, if a cpu is flagged as likely to go
bad, then you can deallocate the processor before it fails and replace
it right then. If it does fail before de-allocation or before being
replaced, then the whole server comes down (and all it's LPARs), since
the processor still receives interrupts (yes, even after de-allocation).

If you want something like VPAR or LPAR under Sun, you actually dont
need a machine that does hardware domaining (partitioning). All you need
is Solaris Express or Solaris 10 (under beta). This even works under
Intel or AMD processor servers running Solaris for x86. Yes, Solaris x86
does run on HP and IBM x86 servers too...

Francois