[SunHELP] Ultra AXe mobo - boot problems. Also, anyone have fans for this thing?

mrl vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed Jul 28 01:32:55 CDT 2004

I have an Ultra AXe motherboard + 256MB RAM + 300MHz processor (yay ebay).
I also have an LSI/Symbios SYM22801, which is bootable from OpenBoot (and
probe-scsi-all does see a SCSI bus when it is attached, and it doesn't see
a SCSI bus when the card is not attached.).

Currently, I have a single device hooked up to the card, and I have
checked the termination. The device is a Sun CD-ROM (ripped from a
SPARCstation 5), which I have used to install Solaris 9 as well as NetBSD
on another UltraSPARC machine (Ultra 2), as well as the same working cable
used to install said operating systems on said machine.

====quote====
ok probe-scsi-all

/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/scsi at 1,1

/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/scsi at 1
Target 2
  Unit 0  Removable Read-only device  TOSHIBA XM-5401TASUN4XCD1036

ok boot scsi2
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package.
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package.
==end quote==

It then proceeds to attempt booting from the network, with "scsi2" as the
boot file/arguments. This of course fails.
It does the same thing for any IDE or SCSI device, *whether or not it was
attached to the system*. That is, a "boot scsi3" or "boot scsi6" or even
"boot ide0" does the same thing.

I have also tested this with an IDE CD-ROM drive, but I don't know for
sure if it does (and suspect that it does not) respect 512b block sectors.
The behavior, however, is the same.

Any clues? I'm getting frustrated.

(In case anyone's interested, I plan to install NetBSD on this machine,
and have both an IDE RAID configuration (software RAID, with a 3ware 6800
controller card, 5x80gb drives) and a SCSI RAID configuration (software,
using the afore mentioned SCSI card, and the drives are connected through
a D1000. For now, I only have 4x18GB drives. This will be /home.))

In closing, does anyone have system fans that connect to the motherboard
power connectors? It's not the PC-standard mobo fan plugs, and it
complains that the fan is missing since I don't have any plugged in.

Thanks.
 - Micah