[SunHELP] linux on V480

James james at jdfogg.com
Sat Jan 31 08:09:55 CST 2004

> how to explain larry ellison saying he want oracle company to be
> linux only in future|?  seems we get very confused signals

He didn't. And I absolutely stand on that statement.

And I can assure you that any performance tweaks Oracle achieved were for
Linux on Intel ONLY. Linux is not a natively 64bit OS. There is a modified
kernel (Ultarlinux) available but userland stuff and compilers are still
32bit. If you purchase the biggest and badest honking Intel server you can
find and install Linux/Oracle on it you may find performance and reliability
that equals a 5 year old midrange Sun server running Solaris/Oracle. But you
will end up spending as much money as you would have if you just went out
and bought a new Sun server to begin with.

When the Intel (and Microsoft) world catches up with the rest of the
computing industry and sort out their 64bit mess maybe we can have this
discussion again. In my opinion, the only OS that Linux competes directly
with is SCO. In other comparisons is can be viewed as a platform change, not
an equal. This doesn't say that Linux isn't a good OS, it is a great OS -
for Intel based hardware (and some others). It has its place.

Sorry for my annoyance, but I am very tired of Intel and MS and their 15
year old technologies and the people who love them for something they aren't
(yet). I expect fully that someday Linux will be an equal to the great Unix
OS's and that Intel will either sort out their 64bit problems or some other
chip will take the market and will run Linux as well as we can run
Solaris/etc today. Until then, I recommend that if you have decent Sun
hardware today, run Solaris and learn how to administer and tweak it. Also,
you will find that most of your performance improvements will be found not
in the OS, but in tuning Oracle and the applications. This is true even if
Oracle is running on Linux or Windows.