[SunHELP] ttymon on headless servers

Markham, Richard RLMarkham at hafeleamericas.com
Mon Jan 26 13:25:20 CST 2004

My servers with vid cards show the following:
# ps -aef | grep ttymon
    root   489   486  0   Jan 23 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/saf/ttymon
    root   487     1  0   Jan 23 console  0:00 /usr/lib/saf/ttymon -g -h -p
myserver console login:  -T sun -d /dev/console

Whereas my two headless servers are showing:
# ps -aef | grep ttymon
    root  9015  7775  0 13:55:51 pts/1    0:00 grep ttymon
    root   472   468  0 20:27:17 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/saf/ttymon

I am curious if this would contribute to problems with respawning processes
when needed.

[
I've had a history of random "freezes" on my two new headless servers and
I'm nitpicking at anything I can think of.  My last freeze up indicated that
my hourly cronjob (which reports process info) stopped running for the
duration of the freeze.  The processes that were reported just before didn't
show anything out of the ordinary and resources again were showing abundant.
This freeze occured only two hours after a reboot and on the weekend when
noone was in.  I tried to send a break/sync within console but it wasn't
responding so I had to hard reset.   I couldn't get in on the console port,
telnet or ssh so I was curious if ttymon handled all of these.  That
wouldn't explain the cronjob situation unless every process uses the same
facility in order to be able to start running.  I have patch 108993-26
installed and this has been updated 5 times since Dec'04.  The system isn't
totally frozen though, it will respond to pings and I have still been able
to pull up the web pages on the html service.
]

Solaris 8 Dec '04 Recommend patch cluster