[SunHELP] random login issue and process problems

Jarrett Carver solarboyz1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 22:42:44 CST 2004

What you need to do is to crash the server when this hang occurs. (Stop-A,
then `sync` at OK prompt.) capture the crash for use in figuring out what
caused the problem.

If resources are not a problem, you could also turn on process accounting.
You could then use these records after the hang to try and piece together
what process may have run amuck.

Finding out what was running helped narrow it down tremendously last time I
had that situation occur. (we found a user attempting to compile something
on an extremely loaded server...damn users).

Jarrett Carver           http://www.geocities.com/solarboyz1
solarboyz1 at hotmail.com   Unix/NT Systems Administrator
"When people sigh 'Life is hard', I am always tempted to
ask 'compared to what?'".
               - Sydney Harris