[SunHELP] Thoughts on Solaris 10 or Solaris express

Karl.Rossing at Federated.CA Karl.Rossing at Federated.CA
Wed Feb 25 09:43:19 CST 2004

I thought i would give a quick review of installing Solaris Express(10)

I Installed it on a PII 350, with 256MB of ram, 30GB Seagate Harddrive.

The Installation CD would not install on my system. It would freeze when
creating the swap slice on hd.

So after much fiddling with the bios and such i installed the software
using cd 1 of 2 and cd 2 of 2.

The installation went pretty slow. It might have to do with the pc system
that i was installing it onto or it might just be the slow solaris
install.

After the install was complete, i rebooted the system. For some reason,
the install procedure doesn't ask you for a host name.  sys-unconfig
doesn't ask you for a hostname either. Which is kinda bizarre because it
usually does.

Solaris 10 looks much like solaris 8. It's still got CDE if you want to
run that. It's also does have much in the way of software. I suspect that
this is by design since the SUN Java Desktop(AKA Linux with sun pieces)
probably has more apps. I'm going to have to download openoffice, firefox
and ximian.

The software sure runs slow on my PII 350 though... I might try to add
more ram and see what happens.

Thats about it.

Karl