[SunHELP] The plot thickens (Solaris 10 Networking broken?)

Matt Gabriel matt.gabriel at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 21 13:20:27 CST 2004

Not just Solaris 10, it's also not working in Solaris 9 and Gentoo.

This would lead me to suspect a hardware issue. But it's a wierd one.
I've got both the built in hme0 and a Quad fast ethernet card in an
Ultra2 Creator3d. Solaris can detect when a cable is plugged into any
of the five ports, can see them all in prtconf, and can tell what speed
it's running at, and can detect when the cable is unplugged. The linux
installer detected all five ports, and labeled them from eth0 to eth4,
and let me configure any or all of them.

But it just isn't on line.

The cable and switch are fine... I've just plugged it into my iBook,
and I'm sending this email on it as we speak.

Dropping into the eeprom, "test net" hangs when it tests the loopback.
Hard cycle, and run a "watch-net-all" and the internal loopback for all
ports passes, while the transceiver check fails. Printenv shows all
eeprom defaults are in place.

	I'm stumped. It doesn't look or act like five dead ports... and I find
it highly dubious that all five ports would be malfunctioning in
identical fashion, especially the QFE card ports.

	Any insight?

~ Matt Gabriel