[SunHELP] Ultra 5 running 2.5.1 hangs early in boot

Michael Marziani marziani at oasis.com
Thu Feb 19 21:24:12 CST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 06:18:38PM -0600, Michael Marziani wrote:
> > I installed 2.5.1 HW 11/97 on an Ultra Sparc 5 with no problems (End User
> > distrib).  I then copied over my install a fully patched 2.5.1 "OS Image"
> > using an ssh/rsync script another admin had written.  Essentially this
>
> What's the date on your "OS Image"?  I'm guessing its older than
> 11/97.

The image is based on the same 11/97 HW release.  From what I was told, it
is a full install of that release, all "recommended patches" from sun, and
all y2k patches.  I'm trying to puzzle together how simply overwriting any
given filesystem file could produce this effect.

>From what I can tell, my system is hanging somewhere between where the
PROM invokes the bootblk and where the bootblk loads ufsboot.  Like I
said, I'm getting no error messages, so I'm not sure what to try.  I'd
think someone who understands the boot better than myself might know,
which is why I've come to this list.

-Michael