[SunHELP] Moving data from a small disk to a larger disk

Jim Pennino jimp at specsol.com
Wed Feb 4 18:31:28 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:50:06PM -0500, Nguyen, David M wrote:
> Yes, netra t1 can hold 2 disk but it has only one disk currently.
> Someone recommends to use dd utility.  What is different between dd and
> cpio?  And if I use cpio to transfer files does it copy root file
> systems without causing any problems during rebooting like the system
> could not come up?

To use dd or cpio directly, you have to have both disks on the same
machine.

If the 2 disks are already on the same machine, just copy the web stuff
to the new disk, leave the system stuff where it is on the existing
disk and call it a day.

As to the differences between dd and cpio, see the man pages. In general
dd works better for devices and cpio for directories.

You can NOT simply dd an entire disk to another disk of a different size.

See http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/805-7228 and the chapters on managing/adding
disks.

--
Jim Pennino