[SunHELP] a question

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Fri Aug 27 12:38:57 CDT 2004

On Aug 27, 2004, at 1:19 PM, Grindell, Joan M. wrote:

> thanks to everyone who responded to this query.
>
> I learned a lot from everyone,  and this information is helping with
> our
> install policy.

Joan, I would also investigate mirroring your system drive to another.

since most sun system have room for at least two internal drives, I
order my systems with a minimum of two drives, and after the OS is
installed, I mirror the two drives together.

This gives you some minor performance boost, but a great reliability
boost. Since hard drives are so cheap these days, it's a small amount
of money to mitigate of large headache if one of your system drives
were to fail.

How I do my partitioning:

c?t?d0s0 is / - This contains /usr and I size it to be around %50 of
the total hard drive space.

c?t?d0s1 is swap space. I usually size swap to be the max amount of RAM
I can put into the server, up to a point.

c?t?d0s3 is for /var. You size this depending on what you're using the
server for.

c?t?d0s4 is for metadb storage. This is not a file system, but a
partition that only needs to be 24MB big for storing DiskSuite replica
databases or for Veritas Volume Manage private region.

c?t?d0s7 is for what I call /local, a scratch space for whatever I want
that doesn't fit in the other more standard filesystems. I also eschew
the /export/home and /home locations for home directories and put them
in /local/home.

/dale