[SunHELP] a question

Gary.Siao at bmo.com Gary.Siao at bmo.com
Fri Aug 27 09:45:42 CDT 2004

Bret

if the /usr partition gets full or maxed out means that the sysadmin did
not do a good job at partition... part of the sysadmin is to properly size
up the server... i cant picture /usr being full as this /usr contains
binaries unlike /var  /opt  and  /export/home... if you give good size on
your /usr partition, this will never grow.

anyways, sys admins have different views on partition their solaris
server....  different strokes for different folks...

this is becoming a debate on how to properly partition a solaris server....
this is one of the BASIC function on a UNIX admin... and if you cant
partition your OS, means only one thing.......

cheers !

                      Bret Adams
                      <bret at fabrikant.         To:      The SunHELP List <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: RE: [SunHELP] a question
                      sunhelp-bounces@
                      sunhelp.org

                      27/08/2004 10:34
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to The SunHELP
                      List

Gary:

I differ in your assessment of a one partition system (swap is always
separate, of course).  I find more disadvantages with split
partitions.  Needs change from when you first install and then six months
later and you find you are limited in the usr partition because you did not

leave enough space.  Nowadays operating systems have evolved and are self
protecting from destroying your root partition.
Also, any good sys admin will have monitoring scripts/software to alert
when drive space is becoming close to full and you have enough time to take

preventive action.

Good day.

Bret

SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org