[SunHELP] Solaris package removal question

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Aug 25 14:22:38 CDT 2004

Eric LeBlanc says ...

> Well, do ls -l /path/to/perl and take the creation time of
> this program,
> and do a find, something like:
>
> find / -time time_date_of_your_perl_program > /tmp/allfilesfromperl
>
> check in "man find", I can't recall what is the exact
> parameter (I think -ctime )

Although some doco says ctime is "creation time," it's actually the time of
the last change to the inode.  This may or may not be the creation time of
the file.  UNIX doesn't seem to save the actual creation time anywhere, a
design blunder IMHO.

I think find's various time operators (atime, ctime, mtime) only operate on
whote numbers of days, too, not actual dates or times.

Which is not to say the suggestion above is useless; it's not.  It's a good
place to start, since it will point to at least some of the files, and they
are likely to be in directories that have other perl files, or at least
files whose archiving won't hurt anything.

-Shel