[SunHELP] Problem with External scsi Drive / Can no longer boot

Barry Skidmore skidmore at worldvenue.org
Tue Aug 17 17:47:28 CDT 2004

Nadine,

> I don't have a suggestion for your booting problem other than trying
> to boot from a CD or netbooting and seeing if you can mount the root
> file system to get a better idea of what is wrong with it.  You may
> just need to fsck the root partition or it could be something more

Yes, I was in the process of trying that when I received your message.
Here is where I am:

ok boot cdrom -s
# fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0
BAD SUPER BLOCK: FRAGS PER BLOCK OR FRAG SIZE WRONG
USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION;
eg. fsck [-F ufs] -o b=# [special ...]
where # is the alternate super block.  SEE fsck_ufs(1M).

I looked at that man page on the web, but am not sure how to
proceed.  I just ran the above command earlier today when fsck
failed during a boot, without receiving that error message.

After fsck runs successfully, I was going to restore the boot program
from the installation cd as follows:

# cp /platform/`uname -i`/ufsboot /mnt/platform/`uname -i`

Any comments about this?

> I'd suggest that you try putting the disk which is acting squirrelly
> onto a separate scsi chain (so it does not have other drives to
> interfere with) if possible; that will give you a better idea of
> whether you can get it mounted and get the data off of it.
Unfortunately, I do not have another scsi chain on which to do this.
I would need to install another scsi card -- maybe a good idea at this
point.

Thanks,
Barry