[SunHELP] Problem with External scsi Drive / Can no longer boot

Barry Skidmore skidmore at worldvenue.org
Tue Aug 17 16:48:00 CDT 2004

I am having a problem detecting an external scsi drive connected to the
scsi port on the system board of a SPARCstation 20 - Solaris 9 - SunOS
5.9.  Also, I can no longer boot the system, even with this external
drive disconnected.

The external drive is a Sun X5237A 18.2GB 10K USCSI in a Sun 611 UniPack
enclosure, with a 68/50 pin cable.  I have tried address 0 or 2 with the
same results, described below.

>From the OK prompt, 'test scsi' gives the following:

Dma register test -- succeeded.
Esp register test -- succeeded.
Dma read test -- succeeded.
Dma write test -- succeeded.

With the external drive _disconnected_, if I run probe-scsi-all, I can
see my two internal hard drives and CD-ROM drive:

/iommu at f,e0000000/sbus at f,e0001000/espdma at f,400000/esp at f800000
Target 1
  Unit 0 Disk FUJITSU M2954ESP SUN4.2G28489707621210

Target 3
  Unit 0 Disk FUJITSU M2954ESP SUN4.2G28489719663529

Target 6
  Unit 0 Removable Read Only Device TOSHIBA XM-4101TASUNSLCD
342412/08/94

With the external drive _connected_ and set at address 0, as soon as the
external drive is probed, the screen completely clears, the cursor goes
to the top of the screen, and all I can read is the tail end of the
information from the probe of the external drive:

/iommu at f,e0000000/sbus at f,e0001000/espdma at f,400000/esp at f800000

(screen clears, cursor goes to top of screen)

                       Copywrite (c) 2000 Seagate
                       All rights reserved

Target 1
  Unit 0 Disk FUJITSU M2954ESP SUN4.2G28489707621210

Target 3
  Unit 0 Disk FUJITSU M2954ESP SUN4.2G28489719663529

Target 6
  Unit 0 Removable Read Only Device TOSHIBA XM-4101TASUNSLCD
342412/08/94

If I change the address to 2, the screen clears between the information
for Target 1 and Target 3 appearing.

======

If I do a test-all (with the external drive either connected or
disconnected), the following occurs:

  o the memory test passes ok

  o floppy drive test passed ok

  o font test starts to run, then:

the screen clears, a finely-detailed, colored plaid background
screen appears, then this becomes overlaid about half-way down
with the normal white screen.  The first thing I can read is:

                      -- succeeded.
Testing /iommu at f,e0000000/sbus at f,e0001000/ledma at f,400010/le at f,c00000

then one blank line with only the plaid background, then white screen
continues with the following:

Using AUI Ethernet Interface

   Lance register test -- succeeded
   Internal loopback test -- succeeded
   External loopback test -- Lost Carrier (transceiver cable problem?)
send failed.

Using TP Ethernet Interface

   Lance register test -- succeeded
   Internal loopback test -- succeeded
   External loopback test -- Lost Carrier (transceiver cable problem?)
send failed.
Self test failed. Return code = -1

Testing /iommu at f,e0000000/sbus at f,e0001000/espdma at f,400000/esp at f,800000
Dma register test -- succeeded.
Esp register test -- succeeded.
Dma read test -- succeeded.
Dma write test -- succeeded.

===

Now I can not even boot the system from the ok prompt.  Normally, I do:
'boot disk1:a'

but get an error that the boot program can not be found.

The external drive is not connected when I try to boot.  I have powered
down the system several times, but I am still unable to boot.

Please excuse the length of this message, but I am trying to provide all
the relevant information to diagnose the problem.

Thanks,
Barry