[SunHELP] Solaris 8: Unable to login

Charu Kamath charu.bhargava at estelcom.com
Tue Aug 10 01:22:25 CDT 2004

Hi!

I am running solaris8 on Sun Ultra 5 SPARC.
There something weird happening with the machine. Every day morning I try to
log on to the machine (using telnet) it doesn't happen.I have created only 1
user on this machine.
On console, I check the Admintool it doesn't show the user, also some user
by the name Mox & Moxu is created with userid 0 & 1 respectively.
Along with my user account the user acc for bin also gets deleted.I dont
know why is this happening. I do have tcp_wrappers-7.6 in place but am
unable to log anything at all.
Few lines from output for ps -ef showed something like this ---
root 168 1    1 Aug 06 ?  0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd -s
root 177 1    0 Aug 06 ?  20:30 /usr/local/sbin/named
root 249 1    0 Aug 06 ?  0:00 /usr/sadm/lib/smc/bin/smcboot
root 249 250 0 Aug 06 ?  0:00 /usr/sadm/lib/smc/bin/smcboot

Can anyone suggest what could be the problem and how can I resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

Charu Kamath