[SunHELP] Setting up an FTP user best practice

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 16 09:43:01 CDT 2003

Hello gurus,

I've received a request to setup a local FTP account on one of our
Production Solaris servers (currently 2.6 soon to be 2.8). My initial
thought was to setup anonymous ftp and chroot. I discussed this with my boss
and he doesn't like the thought of using anonymous FTP (some definite FUD
there), so I'm left with setting up a regular or guest user to accomplish
this task. Does anyone have decent instructions or scripts that will help me
accomplish this task in Solaris 2.6 or Solaris 8? If we were running Solaris
9, ftpconfig would be a huge help, but I don't believe this is available in
earlier releases of Solaris.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Matthew