[SunHELP] insert one line at beginning of text file; efficien tly

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Sep 3 16:21:02 CDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 04:48:24PM -0400, Dale Ghent wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 03:39 PM, Markham, Richard wrote:
>
> >Dale if you dont mind if I wanted to pass paramers ($1 $2 .....) to
> >theis
> >perl
> >command how can I get it to go through without PERL trying to process
> >the
> >variable.  Appears the shell never gets to replace the variable value.
>
> Use this perl script instead. Cut and past it into a file, make it
> executable, and run it like so: ./foo inputfile argument > outputfile
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> print "$ARGV[1]\n";
> open FILE, $ARGV[0];
> while(<FILE>){print;}

Don't you think it's a bit wasteful starting up a whole Perl interpreter
to do something this trivial?

[ A close(FILE); when you're done would probably be a good idea, too.]

For maximal speed, try this:  Create a file foo containing a single
newline, then for each input file bar, just:

cat foo bar > baz

(or cat foo bar | next command....)