[SunHELP] SunFastEthernet questions

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Tue Sep 2 16:06:58 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 03:39 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Sunsolve documents the 501-2929 SunFastEthernet 2.0/2.1 as supported in
> Sun4/15, Sun4/30, Sparcstation 5/10/20, and Ultra1/1e/2.  Does anyone
> know any reason why this would not work in an LX?

I ran one on a LX with Solaris 8 with no problems.

> This board is the BigMac chipset, not a hme, correct?

No, the 2.0/2.1 is Happy Meal (hme). The main difference between the
two is that the hme is far less buggy and supports full duplex where
the bigmac didn't.

> What use can I make of the MII interface?

It exists mainly for connecting a MII -> 100baseFX fibre transceiver
to. If you don't use 100Mb ethernet over fiber, it's pretty much
useless.

/ek
http://elektronkind.org/
Psytrance: it's post-grad school for ravers.