[SunHELP] Sending error traps to Netcool using SNMP

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Thu Oct 23 18:33:14 CDT 2003

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 05:48 PM, Nguyen, David M wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has someone used SNMP to send error traps to Netcool?  Can someone
> point
> me to good resource to start with SNMP and Netcool like a good website?
> I am tasked to capture some specific errors from /var/adm/messages log
> to Netcool.

Netcool has the ability to watch log files and generate a trap
according to what you tell it to watch out for.

So you can have a "netcool collector" machine, where your UNIX servers
log via syslog to, and it can watch the logs from all of your server
there, in one central location.

But yes, you can run scripts on your boxes and send SNMP traps directly
from them. Check out the UC Davis SNMP suite. It has trap-generators
and other handy SNMP-related tools in it.

/dale