[SunHELP] Problem with Patchadd]

Ben Ricker bricker at wellinx.com
Wed Oct 15 08:46:11 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 17:10, Dale Ghent wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Ben Ricker wrote:
>
> > I am trying to install the /dev/random patch for Solaris 8/Sparc. Here
> > is the patches' log entry for the error:

> I'm guessing you downloaded and untarred/unzipped the patches as user
> bricker and your umask happens to also be set to 066 or similar, which
> means the the patch isn't world readable.

How would you upload patches as non-nobody? Download, then chmod?

> Well, the patch HAS to be readable by user nobody for it to install.

I am now convinced that this is not the problem. I chmod'd the
directories and still get the same error. I think there is some pkg(s)
missing from the box. Here is the error I get when I run the
checkinstall script directly as root:

# sudo /export/spare/home/bricker/110165-04/SUNWcsu/install/checkinstall
PaTcH_MsG 8 Version  of  is not installed on this system.

The checkinstall script is failing because it cannot find the PaTcH MsG
8 thingie (I have no idea what this is).

Does this shed some light?

Ben Ricker
Wellinx.com