[SunHELP] ISM in E10K

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 10 19:57:27 CDT 2003

Sure, it really has nothing to do with the E10K other than the fact that you are more likely to do DR on an E10K than on the other mid-range sun servers that are pre-sunfire (E4500, E5500, E6500).

ISM allows for two things that makes Oracle specifically run much better.

1) Pages are locked, they are contiguous and uneligable to be reclaimed by the scanner (they can not be evacuated to the swap device).
2) The pages are very large, 4MB in fact ... standard pages are only 8K prior to Solaris 9.

Because of #1 above, you cannot drain a board that has an ISM segment on it, which is the first necessary step to removing a board in the E10K.

Solaris 9 provides a new API that allows an application to relocate an ISM segment (or suspend it, can't remember). Anyway, Oracle 9i added functionality that uses that API so that DR operations are now supported.

So the answer to your question is, no you cannot do DR with ISM on the E10K without bringing down Oracle, but with Oracle 9i and Solaris 9 you can.

Regards,

--Buddy