[SunHELP] How to Enable a Service

Munish Bajaj mbajaj at quark.co.in
Fri Oct 10 04:46:00 CDT 2003

Hi Listers

I'm stuck with a very basic and elementary problem. please ignore my lack of
knowledge as i'm a Oracle DBA

I'm trying to create a service for cvs pserver. I had created a cvs
repository. It is working well if i access it via local method, but i'm not
able to access the same via pserver.

I had done the following entries in /etc/services

cvspserver      2401/tcp                        # CVS Server Port

and in /etc/inetd.conf

cvspserver      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/cvs     cvs -f
--allow-root=/u02/cvsroot pserver

and restarted the inetd daemon

pkill -HUP inetd

But am not able to connect via cvs client to this server

I tried a basic test ti check if the service was working. I made the
following entries in /etc/inetd.conf

cvspserver      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/echo   echo hello

now i tried to connect with telnet servername 2401. My Guess was that i
should get the Hello message echoed, but i got the error

Please tell me how i can create this service. My platform is Solaris 8
details as follows :

SunOS server 5.8 Generic_108528-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250

Thanks and Best Regards to all

Munish Bajaj

  _____

<http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=hotbar%5felement%3
bst%3b&SG=&RAND=54826> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!