[SunHELP] Probelms with ufsrestore

Lara Matthews lara.matthews at accesscomputing.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 06:30:52 CDT 2003

Hi

I have an E250 running Solstice backup, I wanted to try to recreate this
  system on another box (an U60) as a DR test.

All the data is in the root (/) file system.  I have backed this up
using ufsdump and then ufsrestored this data onto the U60.

However the U60 will now not boot.

It starts to boot and then comes up with an error message

init: cannot create /var/adm/utmpx
init: failed write of utmpx entry:" "

I have booted from CD into single user mode and

1. fscked the the U60 disk
2. removed the /var/adm/utmpx file and touched a new file
3. copied the /var/adm/utmpx file from the CD

None of these have made any difference and the system still is unable to
boot.  Do you have any ideas where I can look next or why this might be
happening.

Many thanks

Lara