[SunHELP] Sending Mail without sendmailD

Chris Hall chall at verio.net
Thu May 8 11:29:32 CDT 2003

[macinen at sandia.gov] Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:18:13AM -0600 wrote:
> Greetings all Sun Guru's.
>

> I was wondering if there was anyone out there in sunland, that was sending
> mail from their Solaris 9 OS, without running the sendmail daemon.  I have
> searched google, and I have checked my sendmail.cf file, and it still does
> not work.  I have Solaris 8 on a another machine, and the sendmail.cf files
> look the same.
>

> Btw, I have also modified subsidiary.cf to reflect the same values as
> sendmail.cf.  Can someone help me?

I always use sendmail from source so I am assuming your using sendmail > 8.12 ?

    Have you tried changing "Smart" relay host in submit.cf ?

     # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
        DShostname.com

Or

Try passing "DaemonPortOptions" flag to sendmail or in the sendmail.cf.
example:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mta -bd -q30m -ODaemonPortOptions=Addr=localhost

  This should enable just the mail submition to localhost and not
listen extranly on port 25.

  (This works for me on one system)

More Info:
-------------

http://www.sendmail.org/~gshapiro/8.10.Training/DaemonPortOptions.html

/path/to/sendmail/src/sendmail-8.12.9/sendmail/SECURITY

[...]

Summary
-------

This is a brief summary how the two configuration files are used:

sendmail.cf     For the MTA (mail transmission agent)
        The MTA is started by root as daemon:

                /PATH/TO/sendmail -L sm-mta -bd -q1h

        it accepts SMTP connections (on ports 25 and 587 by default);
        it runs the main queue (/var/spool/mqueue by default).

submit.cf       For the MSP (mail submission program)
        The MSP is used to submit e-mails, hence it is invoked
        by programs (and maybe users); it does not run as SMTP
        daemon; it uses /var/spool/clientmqueue by default; it
        can be started to run that queue periodically:

                /PATH/TO/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q30m
[...]

  Hope this helps, :)

--
Thanks,

- Chris Hall

  "The growing use of e-mail, not to mention Web-page publishing, threatens
to reverse the trend towards illiteracy among the supposedly educated without,
at the same time improving their spelling".
                                               -- Michael Swaine, Dr. Dobb's Journal