[SunHELP] Bind 9.2.2 config

Bob Ababurko ababurko at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 30 12:07:53 CST 2003

I have just compiled Bind 9.2.2 on a sparc 5 running Solaris 8.  I am new
to the world of compiling as I have been installing packages instead...just
like sun taught me!  First I have a question regarding backing out of an
installing such as this in that the software was compiled.  How do I go
about removing it and all traces, or how do I go about upgrading the
software without having random unused files in existence.  This is
straightforward when installing precompiled packages.  Second, named was
not installed in /etc/init.d, but instead I found a  named in
/usr/local/sbin.  The only thing is, the file is compiled and it is like
8.5 MB.  Upon looking at a BIND 8.2 on a Linux box, the named in init.d
directory is a shell script and this is the file used to start the
service.  I am not sure how I am supposed to set the box up to start the
service, ie what to link the startup script in /etc/rc3.d to.  None of this
was done after the compile.  I am assuming this is normal.

thanks