[SunHELP] sbus raid solutions

Bob Ababurko ababurko at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 28 09:43:29 CST 2003

I didn't realize that there was few economical solutions for hardware raid
on Sun.  I should have known better though.  I started thinking about
alternatives to the hardware raid.  What would the pros/cons be of using a
Multipack with 10k disks attached to, say a sparc 5 running SDS(Solstice)
and no other services besides NFS to make the disks available to another
box.  My logic is that the load that software raid puts on the cpu will not
be on the box that is providing web services, but on the sparc 5.  What
kind of performance limitations may exist with this configuration?  Will
there be slow access? hmm.  I would like to hear any comments or suggestions.

thanks