[SunHELP] newbie unclear on post installation steps of solaris 8 on ultra sparc...

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Fri Mar 14 09:25:51 CST 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 20:44:23 -0500, "Marvin Cummings" <marvc at bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> Yes I can ping and perform traceroutes on external hosts. I guess the
> problem at this point is getting the system properly configured to
> access the internet. Since this wasn't possible after the initial
> installation I guess I was that there was some additional configurations
> that needed to be performed? Am I wrong in this assumption?
> Now be nice I am a newbie...:)

I'm gonna give you what I was given, and found out since, in one capsule
lesson. Maybe that'll help.

Assume your gateway/DNS router is 192.168.1.1, your local machine is
192.168.1.10, your inside domain is internal.net, and your machine name is
holycow.

/etc/nodename should contain the name of the machine:
holycow

(If you have multiple interfaces, you'll need to list all the names here.)

/etc/netmasks should contain the network IP and mask:
192.168.1.0	255.255.255.0

(If you have multiple interfaces, each network will need to be listed on a
separate line.)

/etc/hosts should contain a list of known hosts, at least yourself if you
have
a DNS server. Include a fully-qualified hostname, thus:
127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.1.10	holycow.internal.net	holycow 	loghost

Note that I put the fully qualified domain name FIRST. I don't know what
loghost is, but it's there by default, so of course I left it in. I'm not
sure
if it's necessary, but it seems to me the items should be separated by tabs,
not spaces.

/etc/hostname.<interface>, e.g. /etc/hostname.le0 or /etc/hostname.hme0 has
the machine name:
holycow

/etc/defaultrouter has your gateway:
192.168.1.1

I gather that's one of those things that's not always necessary, but if the
machine gets confused about what to use as a router (mine did last night),
that will set it straight.

I won't repeat what I can quote:   :)
> OK. This is what I have so far:
> Etc/nsswitch.conf looks like this:
> Hosts:	files		dns
>
> This was already listed in the file. So I didn't have to make any
> changes.
Excellent.

> Etc/resolv.conf looks like this:
> Domain mydomainname.com
> Nameserver IP of my internal DNS server
> Nameserver IP of my ISP DNS server: bellsouth.net
> Search mydomain.com bellsouth.net

I hadn't seen the search stuff. Guess because I've never bothered to use it.
Mine looks like this:

domain internal.net
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Since I'm using 192.168.1.1 as the gateway AND as the DNS server/forwarder, I
shouldn't need to specify the external network information. YMMV there. I'm
using SmoothWall as my router/firewall/gateway/DNS server.

I think all the search does is let you use unqualified hostnames from those
domains. You probably won't need to be using unqualified hostnames from
bellsouth.net, unless you want to specify "www" and have it resolve to
"www.bellsouth.net" or something. :)

Some of the above is guesswork. I'm a newbie, too, so be gentle. :)

---
It slices, dices, purees, and saves to CDROM. How could I resist?