[SunHELP] can't login - circular behavior

Arthur Wouk awouk at ra.nilenet.com
Thu Mar 13 22:50:00 CST 2003

:i have run my home sparcs as root for years. i know this is bad, but i
:am not connected to the internet and i can live with my random
:blunders. however, i decided to get out of this bad habit by
:establishing a separate non-su identity fpr myself. i used admintool.
:then i fixed up my local environment to match my previous one as su.
:i am using cde.
:
:i did that yesterday, and this morning i find that no matter what i do
:when i login under this identity, i a quickly resent to the login
:page. if i try the failsafe login option, i get an openwindows
:environment. i can't get to cde.
:
:any clues?

one suggestion i received by mail was to remove .dt and let the whole
setup be regenerated. that failed, but, by removing the account and
restarting from scratch, everything is now ok.