[SunHELP] NIS security question...

Matt Goebel goebel at emunix.emich.edu
Thu Mar 6 10:00:03 CST 2003

Hello,

  I'm setting up a nis/nfs server, and a couple of clients.  My question
is how do I configure the server to recognize the users for purposes
of recieving email, but not allow them to login.  I only want the users
to be able to log into the clients.
  I've been looking at using the compat option in nsswitch.conf for
passwd and group.  If I'm reading the docs correctly then I will have
to keep entries for each user in the nis files, and the various /etc
files, with the /etc/passwd entry for each user having /dev/null for
the shell?
  This is with Solaris 8 on all of the boxes.

Thanks for any help,
Matt

--
Matthew Goebel : goebel at emunix.emich.edu : Unix Jockey @ EMU : Hail Eris
Neo-Student, Net Lurker, Donut consumer, and procrastinating Furry Fan.