[SunHELP] quick passwd alternatives

timuel-sunlist timuel-sunlist at voicenet.com
Thu Jan 30 16:27:19 CST 2003

I was having a discussion about what to do in the event of a catastrophic NIS+
failure with some co-workers. We decided that it would be "nice" if we could
just switch over to passwd/shadow files, however that doesn`t seem like such a
great idea after realizing that our passwd.org_dir has close to 50,000 entries
in it.

Does anyone know of any possible alternatives to normal passwd and shadow files
with Solaris? Perhaps a DBM or CDB or some other sort of more efficient way of
achieving the same functionality as standard passwd and shadow files?

If not, does anyone out there have any other suggestions for something to "fall
back on" just in case of a catastrophic NIS+ failure?

TIA!

--
timuel