[SunHELP] ppp & NAT

Jim Pennino jimp at specsol.com
Mon Jan 20 17:20:37 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:16:19AM -0800, Nejhdeh Ghevondian wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a private network (192.168.0.0) setup at home, between two
> SparcFive workstations, S1 and S2. They are both connected together as
> 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. This setup works fine, I can 'rlogin',
> 'rsh', 'telnet' etc.
>
> S1 is also my internet connection to my dialup ISP through the ppp
> protocol (ppp v4.0). My ISP provides S1 with a LOCAL_IP and a REMOTE_IP.
> S2 can ping the LOCAL_IP of S1, but not the REMOTE_IP of ISP.
>
> My question is:
> 1.	How can I use the NAT provided with SunSrcreen do inform that
> any packet from 192.168.0.0 must be routed to REMOTE_IP? What do I put
> in the source, translated source, destination and translated destination
> of the NAT table?

If you didn't install the documentation, you should.

You can read it on-line at http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-6347?q=sunscreen
and http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-6346?q=sunscreen

The first link is the Overview and the second one is the Administration
Guide.

Go to the chapter on Network Address Translation. You probably want to
do dynamic NAT. This stuff is in the Overview.

There is a GUI to configure NAT once you decide what you want to do. It
is explained in the Administration Guide.

Sorry, I don't have a simple cookbook answer for you; a lot depends on
what you want to do.

> 2.	Is it possible to do the routing manually without the NAT table?
> I have tried this many times but with no luck.

NO. Your internal addresses are not routable on the internet. It will
NEVER work that way.

<Rest sniped>

--
Jim Pennino